Monday, February 14, 2011

My Prodigal Son

As I was praying this morning for several friends who are having a difficult time, a line or two of poetry came to mind. As it progressed, I realized the words were something the father of the prodigal could have said. It's also something our Heavenly Father might be saying to us -- His love for His children is so wonderfully stubborn!! Happy Valentine's Day!!

MY PRODIGAL SON

I looked down the road just as far as I could,
Till you disappeared round the bend of the wood.
It was hard not to follow, and beg you to stay.
But I chose to grant you your freedom that day.

Though I haven't chased you, I know where you are.
You're searching for pleasure out under the stars.
You're out on the road to find fortune and fame;
Determined that one day you'll have a great name.

Although you aren't looking, I will be here.
And I will be carefully watching in prayer.
Still caring for you when you want it the least,
I'll be watching at home and preparing a feast.

Oh my prodigal son, I am praying for you.
Cause I know for now, there's not much else I can do.
So I sit and I wait, and I watch and I pray,
Hoping you'll come to your senses someday.

I have no doubt that one day you'll come home
When all you're pursuing has left you alone.
When you look around to the mess that you're in,
Then that longing for home will start stirring within.

And though you aren't looking, I will be here
And I will be carefully watching in prayer
Still caring for you when you want it the least,
I'll be watching at home and preparing a feast.
Mary Lou A Fuller 02/14/2011

3 comments: