Sunday, February 6, 2011

Quotable Quotes

My favorite recreation lately has been to work cryptograms at www.cryptograms.org. A cryptogram, or cipher, is a quote in code. To solve the cipher, you "break the code" using familiar letter patterns. You've seen a sort of cryptogram if you have ever watched Wheel of Fortune -- it's just missing the code.

I found an excellent quote today:
"The true recipe for a miserable existence is to quarrel with Providence."
— James Waddell Alexander, II
The psalmist said, "Happy is the man whose God is the LORD."  More often than not, we are our own gods. We scheme and work to get what we want and "nobly" invite God to get on board with our desires.  Then, when He does what is right, just, and ultimately good for us, yet fails to satisfy our expectation, we rise up in anger and bitterness. We bitterly complain to Him and to others that He did not answer our prayer.


Too often we get wrapped up in attaining our own glory, and we lose sight that, as stated in the Westminster Shorter Catechism, "The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." Recently I've been more aware that MOST of what I do fails to have its motive in bringing God glory no matter what it may cost me. I fret, I scheme, I explain, and I excuse... Can I get a witness??

I so very much want to be the woman that John Piper describes: (see the sermon here)

"A Christian woman does not put her hope in her husband, or in getting a husband. She does not put her hope in her looks. She puts her hope in the promises of God...She looks away from the troubles and miseries and obstacles of life that seem to make the future bleak, and she focuses her attention on the sovereign power and love of God who rules in heaven and does on earth whatever he pleases. She knows her Bible, and she knows her theology of the sovereignty of God, and she knows his promise that he will be with her and help her strengthen her no matter what. This is the deep, unshakeable root of Christian womanhood."
I still have a great, long way to go in becoming the woman God desires me to be. I am so thankful that "We are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." (Eph. 2:10)  I can look forward to great things as He continues to conform me to the image of His dear Son!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment